Scaling your Facebook ads means increasing your ad spend strategically while maintaining a positive ROAS.
While scaling profitable is the problem, targeting lookalike audiences is often the solution.
Lookalike audiences allow you to target new audiences who match the interests of prospects who expressed a certain level of interest in your business.
This could be prospects similar to people who saved an Instagram post, visited your website, watched your video, or even customers who purchased one or multiple products.
To create a lookalike audience, you can use data from your:
- Facebook Pixel
- eCommerce store database
Note: The minimum database needed to generate a lookalike audience is 100 people.
To follow along with this step-by-step guide, start by having the Scalify app open on another tab, click on Launch from the sidebar.
Or click on the button below 👇️
Scroll down to find Scaling on the right of the page. Click on Create Ad to get started.
Follow this step-by-step tutorial to launch your scaling campaign in minutes! 🚀
1. Set Offer
First, you’ll need to set up an Offer for the scaling campaign you want to launch.
To launch a scaling campaign, you can create:
- A campaign with an Offer attached
- New Offer
- A campaign without an Offer attached
Create Your Scaling Campaign with an Offer Attached
Creating your scaling campaign with an Offer attached enables you to use images, videos, and page posts from your Offer to launch ads.
To select an Offer to launch your scaling campaign with, you can:
- Use the search bar to type your Offer’s name
- Scroll down to select an Offer from the sidebar.
Create New Offer
If you want to launch your scaling campaign with an Offer attached, but you haven’t added one yet, click on create a new one to add a product or landing page to your Offers.
From there, you can choose to:
- Add a product. Click on this article to follow a step by step tutorial.
- Add a landing page. Click on this article to follow a step by step tutorial.
Create Your Scaling Campaign Without an Offer Attached
To skip through to create your campaign without an offer attached, click on the Skip button.
2. Set Campaign
Now, you can either create:
- A new campaign
- New ad sets in an existing ad campaign.
Create New Scaling Campaign
- Select your campaign’s objective
- Choose between Conversions, Traffic, Post Engagement, Video Views, Reach, or Brand Awareness
- On the campaign settings section, type your campaign a name and optionally, enable Campaign Budget Optimization using the toggle
- Choose a daily or lifetime budget for your campaign and enter the amount you’d like to spend
- If you’d like to run Special Ad Categories campaigns, make sure to enable it using this toggle.
Note: Your account must be verified to run Special Ad Categories campaigns.
Tip: To use the same campaign settings in the future, click on Templates and Save current setup as a template.
Create New Ad Sets in Existing Ad Campaign
- Choose the campaign you want to create new ad sets in
- Use the search bar to type your campaign’s name or scroll down to find the campaign from the list
- Click on the Next button to continue to create your ad sets.
Note: the ad sets you created will follow the ad spend settings of the campaign you chose.
3. Create Your Ad Sets
The Ad Sets tab is where you can create 200 ad sets in one go, without duplicating or starting over each time you want to target new audiences.
The progress bar shows you how many ad sets you have set up so far.
The templates dropdown allows you to save the ad sets you created as a template to reuse later, while the sidebar contains the 7 essential settings needed to create your ad sets.
The General tab is where you set the Facebook Pixel, conversion event, schedule, and budget.
Note: The set of settings you’ll see in the General tab depends on if you enable Campaign Budget Optimization.
- Choose the Facebook Pixel that you’d like to track and optimize with from the drop-down. You can also create a new one by clicking on New Facebook Pixel
- Choose a conversion event to optimize for using the drop-down. You can also create a new custom conversion that is specific to your business by clicking on New Custom Conversion.
- Set the schedule you’d like your ads to run on by enabling the Start Date toggle, then enter the time and date you want your scaling campaign to start. By leaving the toggle turned off, your campaign will run immediately
- Set when the campaign ends by enabling the End Date toggle, then enter the time and date you want your scaling campaign to stop delivering. By leaving the toggle turned off, your campaign will continue running until you disable it manually
Note: Your campaign will launch at the start date of your ad account’s time zone.
Now, if you enabled Campaign Budget Optimization in the previous step, you can continue to the next step.
If you didn’t, you’ll get a Budget for each ad set widget, where you can set your ad set’s daily or lifetime budget.
Note: The same steps apply if you chose to create new ad sets in an existing ad campaign. Your new ad sets will follow the budget settings of the campaign you chose.
Click Next when you’re done.
2. Scaling Audiences
The Scaling Audiences tab allows you to:
- Create lookalike audiences from pre-made custom audiences templates automatically — or use existing lookalike audiences from your ad account— to implement in your ads immediately
- Use the Audience Builder that allows you to customize the audience template you selected
- Generate multiple audiences to retarget using the flexible Add Audience Variation button
1. Select an audience template
The first step here to select an audience template from the options below. You can also select an existing lookalike audience or create a new one from a custom audience you previously created.
Create a lookalike audience to target people who are similar to your existing customers with pre-made lookalike audience templates:
- Customers From Your Orders, to find people similar to your customers based on your store orders
- Customers From Website Traffic, to find people similar to your customers based on data from your Facebook Pixel
Create a lookalike audience to target prospects similar to people who performed an action on your website with pre-made templates:
- All Website Visitors, to target prospects similar to all your website visitors who visited any page of your website without purchasing a product
- Visitors Who Added a Product To Cart, to target prospects similar to visitors who added a product to their cart but did not purchase
- Visitors Who Reached Checkout, to target prospects similar to visitors who reached checkout but did not purchase
- Hesitating Visitors, to target prospects similar to visitors who checked your website at least twice without purchasing
- Deep Browsers, to target prospects similar to the top 25% of prospects that spent the most time on your website
- Visited a Page URL, to target prospects similar to prospects who visited a specific page on your website
Create a lookalike audience to target prospects similar to people who viewed one or several videos on your Facebook page with pre-made lookalike audiences templates that cover:
- All Video Watchers, which includes people similar to those who viewed at least 10 seconds of the video or videos you chose
- Moderate Video Watchers, which includes people similar to those who viewed at least 25% of the video or videos you chose
- Interested Video Watchers, which includes people similar to those who viewed at least 50% of the video or videos you chose
- Super Interested Video Watchers, which includes people similar to those who viewed at least 75% of the video or videos you chose
- Obsessed Video Watchers, which includes people similar to those who completed watching the video or videos you chose
Facebook Page Engagement
Create a lookalike audience to target prospects similar to people that interacted and engaged with your Facebook page with pre-made audience templates that cover:
- Everyone, to target prospects similar to all the people that interacted with your page
- Engaged With a Page Post, to target prospects similar to the people that engaged with any page post or ad on your page
- Click a Call To Action Button, to target prospects similar to the people that clicked a call to action button on your page
- Sent a Message To Your Page, to target prospects similar to the people who started a conversation with your page through Messenger
- Saved Your”Page or a Page Post, to target prospects similar to the people who saved your entire Facebook page or page post
Instagram Profile Engagement
Create a lookalike audience to target prospects similar to people who interacted with your Instagram business profile with theses pre-made templates:
- Everyone, to target prospects similar to all the people who interacted with your Instagram profile
- Visited Your Profile, to target prospects similar to the people who visited your Instagram profile
- Engaged With a Post or Ad on Your Profile, to target prospects similar to the people who engaged with a post or ad on your profile
- Sent a Message To Your Profile, to target prospects similar to the people who sent a direct message to your Instagram profile
- Saved Your Profile or Post, to target prospects similar to the people who saved your profile or post
Use Existing Lookalike Audiences
This option allows you to target lookalike audiences you created previously on your ad account.
Lookalike Audiences From Existing Custom Audiences
This option allows you to generate a lookalike audience based on an existing custom audience that created previously.
2. Use the Audience Builder to customize your template
Depending on the audience template you chose, the Audience Builder generally allows you to:
- Include people who performed a specific action recorded on a specific Pixel
- Exclude people who performed a specific action recorded on a specific Pixel
- Refine people by time spent on your website, frequency of visits, and device type
- Set the time frame from which you want retract Pixel data from
- Set the countries you want your lookalike audience to target
- Set the number of lookalike audiences you want to create
- Choose the demographic percentage of your lookalike audiences
- Optionally, choose to:
- Create a separate lookalike audience for each country
- Create a separate ad set for each demographic percentage
- Add a prefix to the audiences’ name for better organization
The Audience Builder allows you to select the exact product, video, page post, or ad you want to include or exclude using the drop-down.
3. Add other audience variations
Using the Add Audience Variation button you can add other audience variations, and follow the same steps as before.
The locations tab is where you can specify the geolocations of the prospects you want to target.
- In the Include section, start by selecting from the drop-down the living situation of your prospects
- In the search bar type the name of the locations you want to target or browse the suggestions
- Use the Exclude bar to eliminate people living in certain locations from viewing your ads
- Use the Languages section to type the name of the languages your prospects speak or browse the suggestions.
Note: By leaving the languages section on default, you’ll be targeting people who speak all languages.
To target a new set of locations, click on Add Variation. You can add as many variations as you want.
Once you’re done adding all variations you want to target, click Next.
On to the Age and Gender tab, you’ll set the age groups and genders you want to target.
- Use the From drop-down to select the youngest age you want your prospects to be
- Use the To drop-down to select the oldest age you want your prospects to be
- If you want to split test your prospects by age groups, make sure to select the age range in years using this drop-down. If you don’t want to split test your audience by age, you can leave this on default
- In the Genders drop-down, you can select to target only males, only females, both, or split to test your audiences by gender
- Click on the Generate button to create unique variations of the age and gender options you chose.
Note: If there’s a variation you don’t want to target, you can click on the X on the corner of the variation you want to eliminate.
Once you’re satisfied with your age and gender variations, click Next to continue.
On the Placements tab, select the placements you want your ads to be shown on.
- To select placements, un-tick the default Automatic placement box
- Tick the boxes of placements you want your ads to be shown on
- You can choose to target all devices, desktop only, or mobile-only from this drop-down.
- To show your ads only when devices are connected to WI-FI, tick this box.
- You can choose to target All Mobile Devices, or select Android devices only, or IOS devices only from the drop-down.
To add another placements’ variation, click on Add Placement Variation.
Click on Next to continue.
The Optimization tab is where you set your ad sets’ optimization and delivery settings. These depend on the campaign objective you selected in the beginning.
- Choose Optimization For Ad Delivery from the drop-down
- If you chose Conversions, select the Conversion window you want your ads to run on. Skip this step if you chose another option
- Optionally, you can set cost control to not exceed your desired maximum cost per acquisition
- Choose when you’ll get charged from the drop-down
- Pick your delivery type
Click Next when you’re done.
4. Create Your Ads
The Ad Creatives tab is where you can:
- Create new ad creatives from scratch
- Choose ad creatives from your offer
- Choose page posts from your Facebook pages
- Choose ads from previous ad campaigns
- Search Post ID or URL
1. Create new ad creatives from scratch
1. Facebook page
In the Pages tab, select the Facebook page you want to create your ads with. You can select multiple ones to test which Facebook page performs better
2. Ad copy
Then, in the Copy tab, click on the + button to add multiple text variations to split test. You can save them as a template to reuse later, by clicking on Templates and Save current setup as a template.
Now, in the Media tab, you can :
- Select the All Media tab to use images and videos from offers and previous ads.
- Select the Current Offer tab to use creatives from the Offer you launched your campaign with.
- Select the Upload tab to import images and videos from your laptop.
Next, on to the URL tab where you can add the URL of the web page you want your ads to redirect to. You can add multiple URLs to split different web pages.
Note: if you launched your campaign with an Offer, its URL will automatically set as the default redirecting URL for your ads. Make sure to edit the display link to your preference.
On the CTA tab, you can add the call to action button you want your ads to display:
- Sign Up
- Shop Now
- Contact Us
- Listen Now
- Watch More
- Book Now
- Apply Now
- Learn More
- Play Game
- Get Offer
- Get Quote
- Get Showtimes
- Visit Instagram Profile
- Send Message
You can also add multiple ones to split test.
The Description tab where you’ll add the headline and description that will appear in your ads. Again, you can add multiple ones to split test.
Finally, on the Create tab, you can preview your ad variations on different placements, and enable the ads you want to use in your campaign.
2. Choose ad creatives from your Offer
- From the left sidebar, click on Offer’s Creatives
- Select the page posts you want to use as ads by enabling them with this toggle
- You can also click on the View on Facebook button to preview the page post before selecting it.
Note: the page posts selected must have a redirecting URL and call to action button.
Finally, once you’re done selecting the page posts you want to use as ads, click on the Next button to proceed to the review tab of your ad creation workflow.
3. Choose page posts from your Facebook pages
- Click on Pages in the left sidebar
- Choose the Facebook page you want to select your creatives from. You can choose one page or multiple ones for split testing
- Select the post you want to use in your ads and switch its toggle on. You can choose one post or multiple ones to split test which one works best.
If you selected multiple Facebook pages, you can still choose one post or multiple ones from each page.
Finally, click Next and continue on to the Review tab.
4. Choose ads from previous ad campaigns
- In the left sidebar, select Ad campaigns
- Click Choose a campaign. Here you can choose the campaign you want to use ads from
- Scalify will sync the ad sets you have in the campaign you chose. Select the ad set of your choice
- You’ll find all the existing posts you have in the ad set you selected. Now, enable the post you want to use in your new ads. You can choose one or multiple posts to split test which one works best.
Finally, once you’re done, click Next and continue to the Review tab.
5. Search Post ID or URL
- Click on Post Id or URL in the sidebar
- Choose Post Id or Post URL
- If you choose Post Id, select the Facebook page your post is from. Right under, enter your post ID and hit Search
- If you choose Post URL, you can proceed to enter your post URL right away and hit Search.
- After clicking the Search button, Scalify then will display your post. Select it by enabling this toggle.
Click Next and continue to the Review tab.
5. Review Your Campaign
The review tab is where you can double-check your campaign details, such as:
- Campaign name, objective, spending limit, and Campaign Budget Optimization status
- Ad set variations, budget settings, calculate their potential reach and make sure that all your variations are exactly what you want them to be before launching
- Ad variations and enable the ones you want to use.
Click Next when you’re done reviewing your task summary.
The launch tab is where you can:
- Choose Your Campaign’s Structure
- Name Your Ad Sets (optional)
- Enable Google Analytics Tagging (optional)
- Enable Created Campaign or Ad Sets (optional)
1. Choose Campaign Structure
Automatically set up your scaling campaign structure to be:
All ads inside each ad set variation, to allow Facebook to automatically optimize your ad delivery.
Each ad variation inside a separate ad set, to force Facebook to spend all the ad set’s budget on each ad.
2. Name Ad Sets
- Choose to leave the values on default or change them to include information you care about from the drop-down
- Choose your preferred spacing character.
Now, Scalify will generate your ad sets’ names based on the values you selected.
3. Enable Google Analytics Tagging
Enabling Google Analytics UTM tagging allows you to accurately track your scaling campaign’s performance beyond Facebook’s Pixel events and get advanced insights on your prospects’ behavior.
Just enable the UTM tags toggle to tag your ads automatically.
4. Enable Created Campaign or Ad Sets
Now all that’s left is to actually launch the scaling campaign.
If you’re ready to enable your campaign or ad sets as soon as they’re created by Scalify, then make sure to tick Enable Created Campaign or Enable Created Ad Sets.
If you’d like to go in and review things one more time before launching then make sure it’s ticked off.
To keep up with your task’s creation status, make sure to go to the Tasks tab from the sidebar.