Facebook iOS 14 Update Brief
Note: You may set Purchase on High priority in your Aggregated Events Measurement settings.
With the release of iOS 14, Apple has announced changes that will impact how advertisers receive and process conversion events from the Facebook Pixel.
In short, users on iOS devices, namely iPhone users, will see a prompt asking them if they want to be tracked by Facebook the first time open the Facebook app.
If they choose not to be tracked, Facebook will not be able to track how your ads are performing.
So for example, you will not know if a person who clicked on your ad has indeed visited your website, added something to their cart or even purchased.
This means you will not be able to know if the money you spend on Facebook ads, is actually bringing you results or not.
Fortunately, in response to these changes, Facebook has implemented a good tracking solution that is aligned with Apple’s policy and will allow you to fix and overcome all of these iOS 14 issues.
This solution is now required by Facebook. Meaning if you don’t do this, you will keep getting a “domain verification” error whenever you try to run ads on Facebook or on Scalify.So please follow along and I’ll show you how what you need to do, in order to fix this and be ready for the iOS 14 update.
Before we start, you should have a Facebook Business account. So make sure you’re logged in to Facebook and then go to business.facebook.com.
If you’re not logged in here, it means you’ve been advertising from your personal account. In that case, just sign up on this page, and you will get a new business account.
iOS 14 Requirements for Running Ads
Now there are two steps we need to go through:
- Domain verification. This is where you prove to Facebook that the domain name you are advertising to, actually belongs to you
- Configuring Pixel events
So let’s get started.
Verifying Your Domain
To verify your domain, navigate to:
business settings -> Brand and safety -> Domains.Click “Add” and enter your domain here.
Now you need to verify your domain using one of the 3 provided verification options.
DNS verification is the easiest, as the other options will depend on how your website is set up. You go with the one you’re most comfortable with.
For DNS verification:
- Go to the company where you have registered your domain. This can be Namecheap, GoDaddy, Cloudflare, or any other company
- Look for the DNS configuration for your domain
- Add the TXT record as explained by Facebook
Once done, give it a few minutes then click “Verify”.
It’s good to note here that depending on your domain service, the DNS update, may take from a few minutes to a few hours.
Configuring Pixel Events
The second step is to configure your Pixel events.
Step 1: Head to your Events Manager.
- Go to Events Manager
- Click the Pixel you want to use
- Click the Aggregated Event Measurement tab, which is below the overview graph.
- Click Configure Web Events
- Read through the introduction screens and click Next
- Find the domain you want to configure events for
- Click Verify Domain. If you’ve already verified your domain, you can skip to the next step. If you can’t edit events because another business owns the domain, contact the domain owner for assistance.
Step 2: Configure your Events.
- Click Edit Events
- Select your Pixel under Pixel
- Choose the event you want to configure under Event Name
- If you choose a purchase event, you have the option to toggle Value Optimization on or off
Note: Turn on Value Optimization if you want to use value optimization for an event that you prioritized in your web event configuration. For optimal performance, place events with value optimization turned on in higher priority slots.
- Select the number of value sets you want to set up under Configured Event Usage
- Repeat steps 8 through 12 for all the events you want to configure
Step 3: Setup Your events Priority.
- Drag and drop your events from highest priority at the top, to lowest priority at the bottom
- Click Apply
- Review your event configuration changes. If your changes are correct, check the box and click Confirm.
You can now optimize for these events in your new ad campaigns;